Newfoundland Tourism’s advertising agency, Target Marketing, and Westjet teamed up to encourage people to learn about and travel to Newfoundland. They wanted to deliver a compelling offer to generate buzz, capture customer data and attract new fans to Facebook and Twitter.
Cannes Lions International Festival
Winner: Best use of Social Media Marketing in a Promotional Campaign
Tourism Industry Association of Canada (TIAC)
Winner: Social Media Initiative of the Year
ATOMIC (Strategy Magazine)
Hospitality Sales and Marketing International (HSMAI)
Platinum and Gold Winner: Digital Marketing Single
SOLUTION + STRATEGY
Newfoundland is famous for being half an hour ahead of every other city in Canada, so they gave away a trip to Newfoundland every half hour in a 24-hour period to a random winner who had provided their contact details on the contest page. Both Westjet and Newfoundland and Labrador Tourism needed a platform that would create the best impression of their brands for potential visitors.
Using Strutta’s Sweepstakes PRO package and custom services, Newfoundland and Labrador Tourism was able to:
- host the promotion to fans on both their Facebook Page and on WestJet's
- customize data capture fields so they could contact people after the promotion
- automatically pick a winner at random every 30 minutes and post the results to a leaderboard
Strutta’s Sweepstakes PRO package offers a high level of flexibility for brand customization, sweepstakes management and data capture. The very specific winner automation feature was added-on as a custom request.
The built-in social sharing and social analytics tools gave them enough leverage to generate a high degree of buzz and insightful metrics. All partners emailed their existing customers and scheduled Facebook and Twitter posts to support the promotion.
The sweepstakes averaged 10 entries per second, generating a tremendous level of activity and viral sharing on Newfoundland & Labrador Tourism’s Facebook and Twitter channels.
In a single day:
- Nearly 900,000 customer leads captured
- Newfoundland & Labrador Tourism doubled their Facebook fan count
- WestJet logged 7,000 new Facebook Likes (+12%)
- “That was the best contest EVER on Facebook!!!” - a Facebook fan